Buying a hearing aid is an important decision on many levels as it is an investment in both money and time. However, the benefits one can gain from improved hearing will outweigh those investments on a daily basis. Therefore it is important to take the right approach in shopping for a hearing aid to ensure you or a loved one get the optimal solution for improving hearing capabilities. At Advanced Tech Hearing Aid Centers we offer this top 10 list of tips for anyone planning to buy new hearing aids, as well as our always complimentary appointments to get started.
1. Research hearing aid types – Learn about hearing aids types and hearing technology to gain a basic understanding of the many choices available. On our website we provide important information about the advancements in today’s technology for reference.
2. Undergo a hearing test and complete hearing evaluation – A comprehensive hearing test and evaluation is the first step toward identifying hearing loss and finding the right hearing aid for a specific hearing problem. At Advanced Tech we will work with you to provide recommendations for appropriate hearing aid solutions, if necessary, based upon your hearing evaluation and lifestyle needs.
3. Honestly identify hearing needs – Some hearing aids are well suited for noisy situations, others are not. Some hearing aids types are perfect for an active lifestyle, while others are better suited for quiet activities such as watching television or listening to music. Features, accessories, even color, may be important factors to consider when choosing the right hearing aid for your needs.
4. Understand hearing aid costs – Hearing aids may be a larger purchase and as such, the buyer should receive a written contract which includes the cost of the hearing aids, as well as any services provided by the hearing professional. These services include fitting, training and follow up appointments. We take it one step further to include free batteries for the life of the aids. Insurance coverage and financing through Care Credit is also available to help make certain hearing aids more affordable.
5. Get a comfortable fit – Open Fit hearing aids are currently the most popular hearing aids available. They are comfortable to wear, offer a wide array of features, and people barely notice you are wearing them. Custom earmolds are also available to ensure a perfect fit. New hearing aids require a period of adjustment, and any level of discomfort could make the transition difficult.
6. Follow up – Adjusting to new hearing aids takes time as the brain learns to hear again in a new way. Follow up appointments are imperative to get the most out of new hearing aids.
7. Ask about the return policy – Most hearing professionals will offer a trial period for new hearing aids. Some may charge a fee if the hearing aids are returned; others may offer the opportunity to try a different hearing aid style.
8. Understand the warranty – As with any major purchase, hearing aids come with a warranty to cover repairs or replacement over a certain period of time. We remain committed to making sure you are taken care of throughout the life of your hearing aid and even have extended warranty plans available up to 5 years.
9. Consider using hearing aids with other assistive listening devices – Today’s hearing aids are designed to work seamlessly with phones and audio equipment. Imagine having the sound from your radio or TV come through your hearing aid so others in the room can hear at comfortable levels. Newwireless hearing aids may be the ultimate in convenience for the hard of hearing. We can answer questions about the compatibility of hearing aids with assistive listening devices.
10. Help a friend- with the prevalence of untreated hearing loss it is likely you know or may encounter someone who could benefit from better hearing as well. At Advanced Tech Hearing Aid Centers we are committed to helping all in our community that suffer with hearing loss and appreciate any referral you can share with those in need.
We hope this list provides a helpful guideline for making the right hearing aid purchase. We are committed to making sure every patient that needs a hearing aid gets the optimal solution for both their hearing loss and lifestyle needs. If you have any questions or are looking to start the process with a hearing test simply submit your request on our Contact Us page. We will be in touch.
Check out our E brochure here: advancedtechhearingaidcenters.ebrochure
Mitch Trace, HIS
Hearing Instrument Specialist